WELCOME TO
"FOR THE LOVE OF LABRADORS"
My goal with this blog is for you to enjoy your time here. Most of the posts talk about my experiences raising my two yellow Labrador Retrievers, some are just for fun, and others share the best dog related information and products I have found.

Use the tabs above for quick navigation. I have imbedded links for as much as possible so that you can find the resources easily from this blog. The links in the side bar are for websites that have been helpful to me. I hope that you find them useful for you and your canine "family member"

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

I realized in planning our trip for the holidays that are dogs vocabulary understanding is quite impressive. I put together a list, for the couple that will be house sitting for us over the holidays, all the words are dogs know. I know this will help them as they spend time with the dogs in the everyday routines they are familiar with. I thought I'd share the list here in hopes that if you haven't considered how intelligent your dogs are you'll see that you've underestimated your faithful companions. Of course this is only the spoken words that our dogs understand and says nothing about the nonverbal communication we convey; nonverbal communication that they are masters in deciphering.

  • Sit
  • Wait -- stay there until I say you can move, or at least stay in that area
  • Stay -- stay there and don’t move until I come back and release you
  • Lay down -- lay completely down with your hip on the ground - not the easy jump back up again position
  • Down -- same as “lay down”
  • Come -- come and sit in front of me
  • Go to your bed -- when in the kitchen refers it to their kitchen bed, when in the office it refers to their office bed, used before meals and when they’re under foot or pestering me
  • Go outside
  • Outside please
  • Go potty
  • Out -- get out of that room, space, location - more corrective in our house
  • Inside please -- into the house typically
  • Ready -- for the next throw when playing fetch, to go some where
  • Ready to “eat” -- a very magical phrase as far as they are concerned
  • Back up -- for when they are in the way, when Shelby is not all the way on his bed in the kitchen before meals - tell him to "back up” onto his "bed”, when they are pushing ahead of you to go in the door
  • Behind -- when they are rushing ahead of you or blocking you when going through doorways
  • Off -- if they jump on you and you want them to get off you
  • No jump -- if their jumping when you first get home and are over excited
  • Let’s go -- when walking after coming to a stop & sitting by your side, said before crossing the street, or continuing after stopping
  • Heel -- walk at your left side
  • Side -- walk on your right side, a new command so they are still getting the hang of this one
  • Go Play -- when I’m sending them outside to burn some energy on their own out in the driveway
  • Bring it -- return the toy or ball and drop it at your feet or in your hand
  • Find it -- used when playing with them, i.e. “go find your bone”, “go find your ball”, “go find your toy”
  • Go get your -- "ball", "bone", "toy", ect. - when you’re playing with them
  • Go to your crate -- at night when we’re putting them to bed
  • Life is a beautiful dance, Always keep your balance

    Life is a beautiful dance, Always keep your balance

    Keyword Search This Blog

    About Me

    My photo
    I'm a California girl! & Happily married "mom" of 2 yellow labradors, who teach me everyday.

    Leave a "tail wag", send a note, or say "Hi"

    If you find the information useful please let me know.
    "Tail Wags" always welcome.

    2labs1mom[at]gmail[dot]com


    Find It Fast With GOOGLE

    For the Love of Labradors (Only)

    Year 1: Puppy Album

    What we live for . . .

    CURRENT MOON
    Because . . .
    full moon = low tide,
    & low tide = yipee,
    we're headed to the beach!!

    My Blog Reading List

    Fun Labrador Artwork

    Proud to be listed by

    My Disclaimer

    Everything you will read here comes from our real experiences; all the fun, all the mistakes, all the struggles, and how I have tackled each problem. I'm not promoting a training approach solely for monetary gain as so many are on the web. All of the links to web based dog "training articles" are Free. I simply hope this blog serves as a starting point for your quest. Remember the answers are out there if you only look so,
    "Never Stop Learning".
    Despite the knowledge I continue to acquire while raising my two yellow Labrador Retrievers, I am not a trained professional. The information contained in this blog, "For the Love of Labradors", is strictly intended to be experiential and educational in nature. Readers should always seek professional advice, before initiating any of the advice contained in any blog post here in the "For the Love of Labradors" Blog.

    What brought you to my blog?